For a Book lover, who is obsessed with books (yeah, they are different things), it is important to know the best Book shops in town and when they hold their Sale. So one can plan the purchase. Therefore, for the benefit of all book lovers in Pune, today I would share information on where to shop for books in Pune. Trust me I have been to almost all of them and I always keep looking for Sale and good bargains.
Check out my list. I am sure it will benefit you.
Crosswords: They have their Annual Book Sale somewhere in August – September every year.
- ICC Trade Towers, Senapati Bapat Road (one of the biggest and best in Pune; they also have a BRIO outlet inside the Store, so that you can have good coffee while you read)
- Sohrab Hall, Junction of RBM-Cannaught Road, Behind Pune Railway Station (last time I went there, there was a CCD outlet inside the store. Because you never know what could happen over coffee!)
- Renaissance, J.M.Road, Near McDonalds (you can also check out bargains outside this Crossword)
- E-Square, University Road (It is inside the multiplex, so that you can browse through some good books while you wait for your show)
- City Pride, Kothrud ( almost all the major multiplexes in Pune have Crossword inside, so as to give you value for your time)
- Supreme Centre, Near Ozone, Aundh (It is that tunnel kind of store—unidirectional, but houses a lot of books. So when you are shopping for groceries next door in Ozone, pick some books and magazines for weekends)
- Premiere Plaza, Next to McDonalds, Chinchwad (I think this is the only Crossword store in Pune, where I have not been. It has opened recently for the book lovers in Pimpri-Chinchwad)
- Gold Adlabs, Kalyaninagar (another one in one of the biggest Multiplexes in Pune. Good Movies. Good Books. Good Shopping at Lifestyle next door! What else can you ask for?
Landmark: Address: (Next to Dorabjee's), Opposite Magnum Mall, Moledina Road, Camp.
I personally think Landmark is amazing. It is exhaustive and thorough. You have books for every topic. For example, in Crossword you have general section of Fiction or Indian Fiction. Landmark has sections called Humour also. It is much easier to locate a book. Usually, Landmark runs a Book Sale in the month of September – October. Actually, they are running one right now, which is on till 2nd October ‘07. They keep their Sale low key, for whatever reasons. Also, for those who think it is Expensive to buy books from shops, there’s a book stall right outside the Landmark, where you get loads of books in bargain prices.
The Word Book shop: Address: Boottee Street, Camp Pune, Tel.: 2631214 / 2633118.
I have heard that this book shop had catered to the Pune Book lovers, much before the Crosswords and Landmark came into picture. It always stocked the best books of the season. It has a loyal set of customers. The owners give their personal attention to the shop and are willing to source the books, if it is not available already. It carries 10% discount throughout the year.
Book World: Address: Basement, Sagar Arcade, Fergusson College Road.
It is a small Book Corner, not really a shop experience here. Books are stacked from floor to roof. But they have huge collection. You can go there only if you know it is there. But it is worth visiting, as I have always found any book on any topic here. It is almost inconspicuous in its presence. You might also get some second hand books in this place, if you want to save some money. There is also a book corner, right outside its entrance, where you can get some bargain buys. Supposedly, Book World also holds an Annual Sale, promising 10-15% Discounts; but I don’t know when they do that. Need to keep a close watch there!
Hong Kong Lane: Address: Near Garware Bridge, Opp. Chitale Bandhu, Deccan Gymkhana.
If you want to buy or sell second hand books, then you have to check out Hong Kong lane. It has a small corner, where several popular books are piled up. Those who do not know what to do with the books you have already read but do not really want to keep; then look no further. Come to Hong Kong lane, sell your old books and get yourself new ones.
Danai Bookshop: Address: Taj Blue Diamond, Bund Garden Road. Tel.: 2625555.
It is a small Book shop in one of the city’s 5-star hotels. Mostly, it attracts the Blue Diamond crowd and people from Koregaon Park or Osho Ashram—mostly the foreigners. It is done up in classic White, which gives it an aura of its own. It is a small place for just picking up something off the shelf. Don’t expect to find any particular book here. But yes, they do have lots of international magazines, quite aptly; considering that they get a lot of crowd for those.
Popular Bookshop: Address: Deccan Gymkhana, Tel.: 25678327.
It is a small bookshop on the intersection signal, which joins JM Road, FC Road and Bhandarkar Road. If you have seen Chitale Bandhu of Deccan, just keep walking towards FC Road, on your left handside is Popular Bookshop. It also stocks popular Hindi and Marathi books. This air-conditioned bookshop enjoys a loyal clientele over the years and even 3rd and 4th generation customers visit the shop often. The Shop supposedly runs a Sale during Diwali every year, and they also have Bargain Counters where books are sold at half the price. So check out this cozy, little Book Shop in Diwali. I know I am going to.
International Book Service: Address: S No 759/5, Deccan Gymkhana.Tel: 25677405.
It is one of the favorites with Puneites, who love its old world charm. It stocks books on all topics but you would not find the luxury of lounging here. It recently completed 70 years and enjoys the attention of a set of loyal customers. Only problem is that it is closed in afternoons and on Sundays. Well, I am yet to check out this book shop but I think it is going to be worth visiting. So, here I come!