Thursday, July 10, 2008

An evening with “Koffee with Karan”


Yesterday I caught Shabana Azmi and Shobha De on Koffee with Karan. I found both women very eloquent and articulate. It was quite impressive the way they answered all Karan’s questions without treading onto any controversial zone. It was really commendable. As long as their works goes, let us begin with Karan Johar. I think he needs to look beyond Shahrukh Khan, Rani Mukherjee, Priety Zinta, Kajol and Amitabh Bachchan. He admitted that he does not like being called a candy floss director, but the reality is that is what he is. Why does not he takes a chance and ventures into something fresh for the audience, why do rona-dhona which anyways Ekta Kapoor shows everyday on TV. Give us a break. I have never liked any of his movies. They have been absolutely illogical and over-the-top. I don’t know what everyone sees in those movies. He did a messy job of Infidelity in Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna (it was so forgettable that I forgot even the name of the movie and had to dig out from Google). He did a weird thing in Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, when the friends marry in the end. Besides, Kal Ho Na Ho was weirdest movie in which the hero pushes his girl-friend towards another guy after finding out that he has some incurable disease; and the girl-friend happily does so.

I have always loved Shabana Azmi’s acting; she is completely natural and effortless in all her movies. My all time favourite movie is Arth, no doubt. She comes across as an intellectual and compassionate human being.
I absolutely hate Shobha De. She can call herself a “Social Commentator” but she should not be accredited for any contribution to Literature. She writes absolute crap. If we had to read such crap, we would buy sleazy stuff off the roads; why should they be given space in respectable book shops. Besides, I vaguely remember one of her books is now part of one of the Universities abroad! If she started the tabloid culture, then she did a great job there; but I do not acknowledge her as an author or even a columnist. All her columns are similar crappy material. Nevertheless, I do admit that she looks gorgeous for a 60 year old!

No comments:

Post a Comment