Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Individual & Indian Society

That is the paper I opted for, this Trimester from the electives. It includes a few movies, books, plays and documentries. The objective of this course is to create awareness about the social aspect and understand social responsibility. Basically, it is an attempt to look at an individual and at society with respect to him.To understand different perspectives and broadening one's horizons by relating it to one's own context. Too abstract, is it?
For example, in the first class, there were a set of statements translated from Marathi in English. These statements said negative things about an individual for example,
"I am scared of doing anything greta. I scare off people doing great things."
"When I was young, I used to park under a 'No Parking' sign and get away by bribing a policeman."
"I behave secretively. I do everything in hiding, without anyone knowing of it."
There were several from the ilk, but my favourite pick was....
"In India in 00 A.D. there was a great movement against dowry. In 1 A.D. there was a great movement against dowry. In 2 A.D. there was a movement against dowry. In 100 A.D. there was a movement against dowry. In 2000 A.D. there was a movement against dowry deaths, in 3000 A.D., 5000 A.D. 50,000 A.D. there was a movement against dowry deaths. In India, in 1 lakh A.D., 1 crore A.D., there was a movement against dowry. In doomsday A.D. in India there was a strong movement against dowry, casteism, poverty, corruption and for an undivided India."
I hope you got the point!

No comments:

Post a Comment