Thursday, July 25, 2013

Letter to My 2 Year Old on His Birthday [UBC Post 21]

This is a letter to my son who is going to turn 2 in three days. This letter is meant for my son but I thought it will resonate with every parent, no matter what age their kids are.

*********************************************************************
Dear D,

I never finalized a name before you were born. A part of me was superstitious, while the other part never found any name that sounded perfect for my baby.

When you were born and I chanced upon this name, it immediately felt right. It signifies star. You have been and will always remain the star of our lives, the centre of our universe.


I cannot believe you are two already! Two years is a long time and then not really. It is hard to remember how life was without you. But no matter what, it wasn’t this beautiful!
This letter is not about the milestones you have crossed, because how does it matter whether you started walking at 1 or 1.5 years. This letter is a celebration of our life together in the last two years.

It is unbelievable how much you inspire me every day, and in how many ways. I never felt the need before but now, I want to be perfect. I want to be someone who you could be proud of. I want to be that place in your life where you can always come when you need unconditional love, understanding and warmth.

Every day is special and every moment is precious with you. There are more than hundred reasons to be thankful for this day. Let me count some.

I am thankful for every single day I get to spend with you. Your curiosity, your innocence, your quest for learning, your determination to master every skill make every day challenging as well as blissful. I am just glad I don’t have to rush anywhere else. I feel privileged to be able to live those moments with you.

A child giggles with all his heart, without any care in the world. I am thankful for those giggles which fill my home and my heart with joy.

his year you are going to start playschool and your world is going to expand. Till now, we were your world – mom and dad. But as you cross the threshold of home for school, your world is going to change forever. I am the world for you today, as you will remain mine; but as you grow up, make new friends, learn new things, there will be a world beyond us. It is incredibly exciting as also it is a little sad for me. Let me be thankful, therefore dear one, to have enjoyed those moments in life when we had each other’s attention all the time.

I have been guilty sometimes of feeling irritated when you pull me from all sides for attention. But sweetheart, even then, I never take those times of togetherness for granted. I know this time is special and it is never going to come back.

I have so much more to say. But this is all that I will say today. Because words can rarely articulate what a heart feels. And I am afraid I would go on and on.

I just hope I can remember the finer nuances of our daily lives, the fun we have, the many adorable things you do. I hope I can hold the beauty of these moments in my heart forever. I hope I can remember much more than a photograph or a video can ever capture.

Happy 2nd Birthday, my Star! May you live a life of happiness and contentment.
Lots of Love!


Mumma

3 comments:

  1. such a wonderful letter :) :) .. i loved every bit of it.. i had also written an open letter to my unborn son which was published in the TOI...but your emotions in the letter are sooo much different and loving :) :) ...

    Wishing your prince a very happy birthday ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton Sunita. This was the letter which I actually wanted to write for my son which he can read when he is older. This letter will also remind me of my own emotions :-)
      Do you have a link of your letter. I so want to read it. I am sure it must be fabulous, looking at your writing abilities.

      Delete
  2. Such a sweet letter :-) You should write another today so you can re-read after two years. Wishing him a very joyous birthday!

    ReplyDelete