Monday, July 29, 2013

Simple and easy-to-make Pasta in White Sauce [UBC Post 23]

What do you do when you want to cook something new, and are looking for a simple and easy to cook recipe? Google obviously!

One of the Saturdays, we decided to make Pasta at home. I love pasta in white sauce. One reason is I love anything with cheese, the second reason is that it is bland enough for a toddler (not to say that he does not eat the normal food we cook. He tastes everything that we eat but if he finds them spicy, I don’t force).

This is how my White Sauce Pasta looked finally
I referred this recipe to make Pasta. I found this recipe very simple and easy to follow.I am more-or-less reproducing the recipe here with minor modifications.

A. FOR COOKING PASTA:
Ingredients:
Pasta: 1 and half cups
Oil: 1 tsp
Salt: To Taste
Method: 
Put water to boil in a container (enough to soak the pasta and more). Add some salt and ½ tsp oil. The oil will avoid Pasta from sticking. When the water starts boiling, add Pasta to it. Cook the Pasta till it is soft but firm. Drain the hot water and immediately add cold water to it. Remove the cooked water from the water and add ½ tsp oil to it.

B. PREPARING THE VEGETABLES:
Ingredients:
Olive oil: 1 tbsp
Garlic: 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Capsicum: 1 (chopped; remove the seeds)
Carrot: ½ (chopped)
Cauliflower: 1 cup ( blanched; put it in hot water with a little salt)
Pea: 1/3 cup
Sweet corn: 1/3 cup
Pepper powder: To taste
Salt: To taste
Oregano: To taste
Note: I cooked the vegetables with little water in Microwave for 2 minutes.
Method: 
Heat oil in a pan. Add garlic and sauté till golden. Then add all vegetables (capsicum, cauliflower, pea, carrot and corn). Cook uncovered for a while but do not overcook. Let the vegetables have a little crunchiness. Add salt, pepper powder and oregabo to taste.

C. PREPARATION OF WHITE SAUCE
Ingredients:
Butter: 11/2 Tbsp
Cornflour: 2 tbsp (you may use Maida if you don’t have cornflour)
Milk: 1 1/2 cup (boiled and cooled)
Cheese: 3-4 Tbsp
Salt: To Taste
Pepper powder: To Taste
Oregano: To Taste
Method: 
Melt butter in a pan, add cornflour while stirring continuously. Saute till it changes colour to slightly brownish. Add 1/2 cup of milk and stir continuously with a whisk to prevent formation of lumps. When it starts thickening, add the remaining milk gradually stirring continuously with the whisk. When it starts boiling, reduce the flame. Add cheese, salt, pepper powder and oregano to taste.
When it thickens slightly, remove from flame. (If it is too thick, you can add the water reserved while cooking pasta and heat again).This sauce will thicken as it cools, so mix it in between or a layer will form on the top.

D. COMBINING PASTA, VEGETABLES AND WHITE SAUCE
Mix all three in a pan, on a low flame. Top it with grated cheese and serve hot.

6 comments:

  1. oh yeah this is one of my favs... just love it :) :) ...we are pukka non-veg eaters so always make it with meat and egg :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, first of all let me tell you heartfelt thanks for dropping in here even when I am not able to make time for going through all your blogs. I am guilty :-( But I am so behind in this challenge that you will have to wait for 2 more days before I start making up on all the blogs.
      Now, about this pasta, I absolutely love anything with cheese. There was a time, I used to eat double cheese on my Paav-Bhaajis etc...sigh! Those were the times :-)

      Delete
  2. This looks easy and tasty!!! Will try once!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bored of eating roti-sabzi in dinner, so when it comes down to me (if the cook isn't coming), I like to cook something different. Sandwiches, Paav Bhaji,Pasta, Pizza, anything other than roti-sabzi. Try it, it is really simple.

      Delete
  3. Pasta et al is made by the resident master chef at home while I stick to just basic cooking so will pass on this recipe to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your posts, I collect that he is a great cooking enthusiast. He must now this already :-)

      Delete