Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Mera Kuchh Samaan Tumhare Paas Pada Hai

Yesterday I was again late from office (8 pm in Pune is late by the way). So, after some timepass on net, some in couple of magazines, and the rest in chatting on phone; I finally got on to making dinner at 9.15. The good thing is that I smartly get the veggies cooked in the morning by my maid, so I just make chapattis, which is not a big thing actually.

Well, anyways, my hubby was back from his Table Tennis / Pool game, and was about to put some of his mindless, meaningless, Punjabi foot-tapping kind of music in full blast. I was quick to demand that I want to listen to some soulful music (read slow, luxurious, lazy, ghazal kind of songs). I asked for Ijaazat’s ‘Mera Kuchh Saaman’. In such cases, I either go for Arth, Ijaazat, Saath-Saath or Ghar – my all time favourites.

I have always been a fan of Gulzar’s poetry –ethereal, earthy and poignant. Particularly, in this song, he makes the pain of the lover come alive with his words, as a listener you cannot help but empathize with her. This song has a very nostalgic quality to it; it just transfers you into that 70s era. It is just the kind of song that you would want to listen to in a mushy, rainy day; while sipping tea and thinking about all the things you have lost.

Here are the lyrics to one of the most beautiful renditions of Asha Bhosle, of all times. I can listen to it again and again for n number of times.


Mera kuch saamaan tumhare paas pada hai -2


saavan ke kuch bheege bheege din rakhe hain


aur mere ik khat main lipti raat padi hai


vo raat bhulaa do, mera vo saamaan lauta do - 2


mera kuch saamaan tumhaare paas pada hai - 2



patjhad hai kuch ... hai na ?


o ! patjhar main kuch patton ke girne kee aahat


kaanon main ek baar pahan ke laut aai thee


patajhad kee vo saakh abhi tak kaanp rahi hai


vo saakh gira do, mera vo saamaan lauta do - 2



ek akeli chhataree main jab aadhe aadhe bheeg rahe the - 2


aadhe sookhe aadhe geele, sukha to main le aaye thee


geela man shayad bistar ke paas pada hovo bhijwa do,


mera vo saamaan lauta do



ek so sola chaand ki ratein, ek tumhare kaandhe ka til - 2


geeli mehendi ki khushbu, jhoot mooth ke shikwe kuch


jhooth mooth ke wade sab yaad karaa do


sab bhijwa do, mera vo saamaan lauta do - 2



ek ijaazat de do bas, jab isako dafanaaungee


main bhi vaheen so jaungee


main bhi vaheen so jaungee

When I listen to this song, I think of a crazy, effervescent and young Anuradha Patel, hill station, rains, Rekha’s romantic voice, hot tea, 1970s, waiting room of a station, warmth, cozy evenings, Asha Bhosle’s voice, the depth in the lyrics, pain which is sweet…….and everything romantic and beautiful!

6 comments:

  1. nostalgic song indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful song and beautiful movie! Infact Ijazat songs are all awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree...a song for every rainy day and totally nostalgic. Lyrics are like Gold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my very favorites :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This song never gets old! Btw, I noticed mera kuchh saamaan is your blog's name!

    ReplyDelete