Thursday, June 06, 2013

June Photo A Day : Day 6: Transport

Here's my picture for today's prompt: a train.

It is amazing how each picture taken from the archive is also digging up the stories associated with it. This picture, in itself, is not spectacular, but nice in its own way because of the way it has been clicked.

It was taken during our first trip ever to Goa, in 2010. Our reservations for returning back, were not confirmed till the last 2 hours of boarding the train. We were checking out overnight buses and cabs, while having a leisurely lunch at our resort (which was Colonia Santa Maria by the way; highly recommended). Then suddenly, the Geek (my husband) received a message on his mobile that our tickets were confirmed. In a matter of minutes, we had packed everything including the lunch we were having and miraculously got a cab too. We were on our way to the station in 15 minutes flat. 

I was really skeptical when we had to reserve seats in the General compartment because we could not get the AC ones. But there was no crowd and all our co-passengers were backpacking western tourists, who had interesting stories to tell. It was one awesome trip. 

You would all agree, a train journey has a character of its own. I have not boarded a train for a long time now. We are dreading to take the little one in any train journey so soon. I would probably wait for another year. He will be all over the train if we took him now. 

This also reminds me that I need to pick up the book "Around India in 80 Trains"by Monisha Rajesh for reading pretty soon. I wanted to lay my hands on this one badly, and luckily I won it in one of the contests. But now the poor thing is languishing on my shelf. 

9 comments:

  1. You know I have always wanted to take this kind photo. I did succeed in it but not to this effect!

    Goa-Mumbai by train is beautiful and trust me more beautiful in a general compartment!!

    As far as kid nd train is concerned, I was always skeptical about it but after having under taken some 10-12 journeys I feel it is not that difficult!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was taken by the hubby from a very dangerous place (which I don't approve of, let me clarify) and I am sure you would not have tried from that place - at the door.
      We want to take him by train because that experience is incomparable. Every journey is a collection of stories. You observe so many things, wonder about what must be the lives of other passengers and people we see on the roads / platforms. But he is so all over the place at home, and takes so much of space while sleeping; I wonder how he is going to manage in the constricted spaces inside train!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous4:36 PM

    I thought that about the place where the photo was taken from. :) The hubby wanted to take a train trip this vacation. I said what good is second ac. I can't click snaps from it properly. :D

    Nice pic and lovely memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have travelled a lot in General earlier. When I started traveling alone, I graduated to 3rd AC. Even now when I travel alone, I prefer 3rd AC. Anyways, these days 3rd AC is pretty much as crowded as General. We go in 2nd AC depending on which train, what route. Having too few people around in trains is no more a good idea. We seek safety in crowds these days.
      However, it has been a few years since I traveled in a train. I want to do that soon.

      Delete
  3. ROTFL @Jyothi's remark about 2nd AC! :P

    Btw, I love such curves along the tracks when we can see the entire length of the train, like a big snake! I love it when we pass through tunnels too! :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Pune-Goa route is picturesque.

      Delete
  4. This is such a fab click! And this is first train pic I have seen today! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just came across this picture while hunting for a suitable one in the archive, and thought it fit the bill very well. Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. An interesting click and an even more interesting story to go with it.

    ReplyDelete